For the bread:
1 large clove garlic
For the topping:
3 medium roma tomatoes
1 cup cannellini beans (about half a can)
3 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs, like parsley and basil (I didn’t have any on hand, so I used a pinch dry)
For the balsamic glaze:
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1. Make the balsamic glaze. Pour the vinegar into a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer; let simmer for about 15 minutes (less if you’d like a thinner glaze, longer if you’d like a thicker one)
2. While the vinegar simmers, prepare the bread. Preheat the oven to 350°. Slice the baguette into 1/4 inch slices and arrange 3×4 on 2 baking sheets (for 24 slices). Brush each slice with olive oil and top with freshly cracked black pepper. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until crispy.
3. While bread is baking, prepare topping. Roughly chop tomatoes and herbs and place in a medium sized bowl. Drain and rinse cannellini beans, add to bowl. Mince shallot finely and add to bowl. Gently stir until fully mixed.
4. Once bread is finished baking. remove from oven and let cool (about 5 minutes). Cut the garlic clove in half, and using the cut end, rub the garlic on the top of the bread (the side with the oil and pepper). Repeat for each slice; set bread aside.
5. Place bread slices on a serving platter and top each with as much topping as desired. Drizzle each slice with balsamic glaze, top with sea salt and black pepper.
Makes 24 slices.