From the Thug Kitchen Cookbook
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1. Heat your oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8-inch cake pan. (You can line it with parchment paper, too, if you’re afraid of it sticking.)
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a crater in the center of the dry mixture and pour in the coconut milk, vanilla and lemon zest. Stir the ingredients until there are no dry pockets and few lumps.
3. Pour the batter into the cake pan, and bake until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, 30-40 minutes. Let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then turn it out on a wire rack to let it finish cooling.
4. Serve cold or at room temperature with coconut whipped cream (instructions below).
Coconut Whipped Cream
1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk, well chilled (put it in the fridge the day before you plan to make it)
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Put a bowl and electric beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes so they’re well chilled.
2. Take out the bowl and beaters. Take the coconut milk out of the fridge without shaking it. Open the can and scoop out all of the thick white cream on the surface and put it in the bowl. (Discard the liquid or save for another use.) Add the powdered sugar and vanilla.
3. Beat the ingredients on medium-high speed until the cream starts looking fluffy and whipped, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.